Ever think that militant Islamist terrorism won’t affect you?
On December 8, 2006, federal investigators thwarted a terrorist plot by a convert to Islam, Derrick Shareef of Rockford, IL, to attack a shopping mall (among other intended targets) at the height of the Christmas season. He was planning to detonate hand grenades at the CherryVale Mall in Rockford, IL.
It is written (in “Feds: Man Planned to Blow Up Ill. Mall” by Mike Robinson of AP) (emphasis added):
Shareef was born in the United States and converted to Islam, officials said. They believe he might have learned about jihad through videos and Web sites.
This incident highlights a number of important points:
- “Home-grown” terrorism is still a threat to The United States and their people.
- The cyber-presence of militant Islamist terrorist networks is one vehicle through which said networks spread their propaganda, modi operandi, plans, ideas, and other information related to terrorist attacks or justifications thereof. In other words: this online presence is a threat and enables the militant Islamist terrorist networks to effortlessly expand its presence and operations throughout the world, even into one’s own town.
- The Government is paying attention to those who wish us harm, and it seems that they are taking all such threats seriously.
- Militant Islamist terrorists deliberately target civilian sites. If we are to be on alert if they wish to attack government and military sites, so much more should we be alert when they intentionally target civilian sites. Their goal is mayhem, and so we cannot afford to dismiss the danger that these people and networks pose to us civilians.
- Militant Islamist terrorists and their supporters have as their end striking fear into the hearts of their enemies. There is no morality and there are no rules in this game. They are vicious and inhuman. We cannot afford to restrain ourselves by assuming our enemies operate taking into consideration what we take for granted, such as the value of every life.
Be aware and vigilant.
This event should wake us all up to the threats we face. We can be hurt even if highly-organized militant Islamist terrorist networks are not actively implementing a terrorist plot: any one of their deranged followers can carry out an attack. Whether by a network or the work of a lone idiot, the result is the same.
But what about non-militant Islamists? Surely they play no role in this, right? Wrong. Islamists deny that terrorism is a problem generated by Islamists. They place the blame on Western imperialism, American foreign policy, modernism, Israel and Jews, and so on. Thereby, they prevent anyone from clearly seeing the situation as it is. They throw up smokescreens. They also do not permit any criticism or inspection of the Muslim community whereby we can ascertain their feelings and intentions towards us so that we may thereby establish relations that will help us protect ourselves. Islam and the Muslim community are beyond reproach, especially by infidels. More smokescreens. Finally, Islamists also seek the downfall of The West and the triumph of Islamist fascism.
Do not tolerate any acceptance of Islamism. And do not tolerate any Islamist, militant or otherwise, conspiring against us. It’s not only a matter of civilizational survival but of our very lives.
For more information on this story, read:
- “Shopping Mall Terror Plot Foiled” by The Smoking Gun.
- “Man Charged in Shopping Mall Jihad Plot” by Mike Robinson of the Associated Press, courtesy of Bretibart.Com.
- “Feds: Man planned to blow up Ill. mall” by Mike Robinson of the Associated Press, courtesy of Yahoo! News.
- “Feds: Man Planned to Blow Up Ill. Mall” by Mike Robinson of the Associated Press, courtesy of the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
- “Feds: Man Planned to Blow Up Ill. Mall” by Mike Robinson of the Associated Press, courtesy of the Plainview Daily Herald.